BRENT JESSEE RECORDING & SUPPLY, INC.
VACUUM TUBE TESTERS FOR SALE
I have some vintage vacuum tube testers for sale, and are listed here on this page. Anyone who has a sizeable investment in vacuum tubes or vacuum tube hi-fi equipment owes it to themselves to have a good tube tester on hand to periodically check the tubes they are using. You can take a more active role in "tube rolling" as you can match your own pairs, and keep tabs on the tubes you are currently using and know well in advance of when replacement time is near.
Tube testers have been out of production since the late 1970s, and supplies are only fair at this time. The prices have been steadily on the rise, especially with the frenzied buying of certain vintage testers on eBay and other online auction sites. Some of these sell prices of certain brands and models are grossly inflated. Hopefully on this webpage I can present good vintage tube testers at reasonable prices, away from the frenzy of the online auctionplace.
Hickok Model 799 Dynamic Mutual Conductance Tube Tester
This is a great Hickok Tube tester that is probably the easiest and fastest Hickok to operate. It is a true Gm or Dynamic Mutual Conductance tester with the patented Hickok circuitry, so you are assured of getting the legendary Hickok accuracy on your tests. This model 799 was the Hickok answer to the multi-socket B&K models 700 and 707, which were taking the market by storm since the set up process to test tubes was so simple. Hickok even called this model "The Mustang" because it was so fast to set up and use. Like the B&K testers, this Hickok has many sockets with the tube numbers and their simple settings printed right on the front panel next to the socket. You simply select the color of the typeface on the panel of the tube you want to test, set two dials, and test! Most multiple section tubes like the 12AX7 are tested by pushing just 1 additional button to test the second triode. You have to pay much more for a Heathkit TT1A or a Hickok Cardmatic to get this rapid testing of multi section tubes! Don't let the simple set up fool you, this is no beginner's tester. It reads true transconductance, or Gm, and also reads shorts, leakage, and gas right on the meter scale. These tests are far more sensitive than other testers that use a simple neon light to indicate issues with leakage, shorts, or gas. This 799 even has the add-on CA-99 adaptor which gives you compactron, magnoval, and other difficult to test sockets. This was an expensive add on to the tester, so this one is the best of this type! Large pin antique radio tubes are about the only tubes this will not test. This is one sweet tester in unusually clean condition, and the case is in excellent shape. It looks like it was rarely used. We have done the calibration on the tester and bench tested it. This would cost you over $100 if done elsewhere. It is included in our price. Highlights include:
- Accurate merit test is easily read on the English type GOOD-BAD scale. Scale to 1000 for Gm matching and tube balancing.
- Measures true transconductance, the most accurate method to test tubes.
- Completely calibrated by us. Tubes inside all OK.
- Has sockets for most late model hifi tubes, most common types have settings listed right on the panel by the socket.
- Settings for most common tubes printed right next to the test socket!
- Very sensitive gas and leakage tests, read right on the meter!
- Calibration pot for setting power line level, with indication on the meter, to insure accurate tests regardless of line voltage variations.
- Tests virtually every tube made since 1940!
- Original manual and tube settings book included. No clunky roll chart to mess with.
- Life-test by dropping filament voltage one notch is easily done, which will indicate on the meter.
- Main power fused by front panel lamp for safety and ease of replacement.
- Benchtop model, with lid. Tester and case are super-clean and in excellent condition.
- $600.00 plus insured shipping.
$600.00 Plus Shipping
MORE TESTERS CAN BE SEEN BY CLICKING HERE!
Questions? Call us at 847-496-4546 from 8 AM until 4 PM, Monday through Friday, USA Central Standard Time. Or, e-mail us.
Click here for a printable order form. Use your "back" button to return to this page.
Return to the Audiophile tube page.
Return to the Main tube page.
Return to the Home page.
NEW! Order tubes or merchandise online using your credit card! Click here: